Not saying that I was FORCED to be natural since I had been making the moves to do so, but I had to make the decision early due to not properly taking care of my hair.
For a year I was researching videos about natural hair and hair care. I saw people on my campus rocking fros and their hair was so healthy! So I would ask questions about hair. I even went to websites online about it!
My Relaxed/Non-Weave Hair Length before getting extensions and going natural (taken March 2010)
So in January, after experiencing bad hairstylists who sucked out money from my pockets and didn’t know what the hell they were doing, flat-iron jobs that took me two-hours to do that would only last a few days, wrapping my hair only to have it going 55 directions the next morning, slow growth no matter what I did, my coarse and thick hair texture being difficult to pull off straight hairstyles, and me just being plain lazy, I decided after this LAST perm, I was transitioning. I got extensions for my 21st bday celebration on January 27th, 2011 and never took them out until June 12, 2011. I intended to keep the weave in until I was ready to take them out, and the results fo waiting that long was HORRIBLE!
Extensions I had for my 21st bday bash! Taken January 29, 2011
PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE YOUR SEW-IN EXTENSIONS IN YOUR HAIR FOR 4.5 MONTHS! YOU WILL LOOK LIKE THIS.
This was just the first braid taken down. I couldn’t take out the rest. I had nothing but a frizzy “rat-tail”. My soror had to cut all of my extensions out for me and she took me to a professional. June 12, 2011
This is the profile. You see how bad this is? My hair is so thick, You can’t even see the parts. My new growth grew so much, the braids weren’t attached to my scalp anymore. June 12, 2011
Fake smile, my mom WANTED ME to send her pictures. Even the real hair from the front and sides left out started to get bad from all that heat styling to blend with the style. June 12, 2011
The braids in my hair locked (like how dreads lock), so I had to go to a professional to take the braids out and cut all the parts that were relaxed and locked from the braids being there too long. I intended to wear braid out styles and transitioning styles until August/September after I took the hair out, but it didn’t work out that way. I was calm about the decison because I knew that that’s what I wanted to do and that’s what I had to do.
ALL MY HAIR! GONE!!!!!! June 12, 2011
I didn’t cry, I didn’t scream, I didn’t panic… maybe a little nervous, but I was ok with it because I knew that that’s what I wanted to do, even though it came earlier than I wanted it to be since I had to. It’s a fresh new start! I will learn about my hair and I will take care of it better!
Look at me now! Taken June 12, 2011
I like it already! I like how kinky my little tiny ringlets of hair are! And it shows off how beautiful I am! I am beautiful no matter how my hair is!
I know it can be scary, but if you are considering going natural, then it would be a good choice! Just for the sake of the health of your hair! Remember, you are beautiful NO MATTER WHAT! (Just don’t do like I did and leave extensions in for 5 months, it’s REALLY bad for your hair!)
*Note: You all should be honored that I’m willing to show this to you, the damaged hair pictures are really embarassing, but I wanted to inspire people to not do what I did to get to this point.
**Reblog please, especially my natural hair and transitioning beauties. =]
- gottabeabletosmile likes this
- tabberwammer likes this
- whoisqizzy likes this
- creativitysparks4everxoxo reblogged this from crystalizedessence
- venomvortex likes this
- seemslike-streetlights likes this
- freespirt2292 likes this
- goldenenvy likes this
- beforeimdead reblogged this from andoutcomethecupcakes
- beforeimdead likes this
- andoutcomethecupcakes reblogged this from crystalizedessence
- marandawilliams said: I can’t say enough how CUTE you look with your natural, short hair!! Thanks for sharing your story— and the photos! Its not easy to do, but this will help SO many other girls get to a good place with their hair like you did! Here’s to a FRESH start!
- soulsista21 reblogged this from crystalizedessence
- dieses-leben likes this
- lioninzion reblogged this from crystalizedessence and added:
- uhfrayedknot said: so proud of you babydoll! you’re gonna love your hair, i know you will. and feel free to ask me questions if you want.
- uhfrayedknot likes this
- kyrasaidso said: congrats on deciding to go natural, it was one of the best things i’ve ever done for myself…you’ll definitely love it : )
- juicymangosummerpeach likes this
- crystalizedessence posted this